July 25, 2023
There's no option to install NordVPN directly on a Nintendo Switch console. However, there are 3 workarounds that you can use. The easiest option is to set up NordVPN's SmartDNS on your Switch, letting you route your traffic through US servers and unblock streaming apps. Still, keep in mind that no encryption is involved with SmartDNS.
If you want gaming-related VPN benefits (lower ping, lower latency, bot lobbies, etc.), you can set up NordVPN on a router. That's how you'll make NordVPN compatible with any Web-connected devices in your home. Also, you can share NordVPN from your PC by turning it into a virtual router. Let's explain all those methods, shall we?
To set up NordVPN on a Nintendo Switch, you need to first think about your goals - whether you want to unblock streaming apps or optimize your gameplay experience. Based on that, these are the available options:
By using SmartDNS, you'll instruct your Switch to re-route your traffic and unblock US-based streaming apps on your console. Here are the steps you need to take:
1. Subscribe to NordVPN using your computer and a Web browser.
2. Make sure that your Nintendo Switch is connected to your home Wi-Fi network. Your console and your computer must be connected to the same router.
3. Go back to NordVPN's website and click 'Log In,' visible in the main menu. Provide your username and password, which is when you'll access your Nord Account dashboard.
4. Using the left-placed sidebar, pick 'NordVPN.' On the right, find the 'SmartDNS' box and click 'Enable.' Then, follow the steps you'll see on your screen.
5. Wait until you see your primary and secondary DNS addresses. Then, turn to your Nintendo Switch for the rest of the procedure.
6. Go to System Settings > Internet > Internet Settings.
7. Select your currently active Wi-Fi connection and pick 'Change Settings.'
8. Scroll down to 'DNS Settings' and pick 'Manual.' Finally, enter your primary and secondary DNS addresses, followed by restarting your Switch. That's it!
When you set up a VPN on your router, you create a unified VPN-protected network. So, if you connect your Switch to that network, you'll gain VPN functionality on your console. These are the steps you need to take:
1. Get your NordVPN subscription using a computer and any Web browser.
2. Proceed to set up NordVPN on your router. The provided link will take you to our central guide that covers many different router firmware types and brands.
3. Connect your Switch to the Web by going to Settings > Internet > Internet Settings. Make sure to pick your newly created VPN network.
4. Return to your Switch Home Screen and feel free to launch any game or app. Starting this moment, all your Web traffic will be encrypted.
Once you set up NordVPN on your Windows PC, you can turn your computer into a virtual router, creating a VPN network that expands to your Nintendo Switch. Here's how to make that happen:
1. Sign up for NordVPN using your PC and any Web browser.
2. Next, install NordVPN on Windows. Keep in mind that you must use NordVPN's native app for this to work, which means manual configuration is not an option.
3. On your computer, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot. You'll find a switch there using which you'll enable the 'Mobile Hotspot' feature.
4. Then, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options. Right-click on the TAP adapter installed by NordVPN and pick 'Properties.' If you can't find the NordVPN adapter, open its app and connect to any VPN server.
5. Go with 'Sharing,' and then check the box next to 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.' Also, pick your hotspot just below.
6. On your Switch, go to Settings > Internet > Internet Settings. Pick your hotspot, provide your password, and connect to your newly created VPN connection. That's it!
If you want all of the VPN-related gaming benefits, setting up NordVPN on a Nintendo Switch by installing it on your router is the way to go. You can avoid the additional expenses of getting a VPN router by sharing your connection from a Windows PC. That said, know that SmartDNS is mostly usable for streaming - not for gaming.
Once you get NordVPN to work on your Nintendo Switch, why not install it on your other devices as well? That's always a great option, especially because this VPN offers 6 parallel connections. So, make sure to check our guide on how to set up NordVPN - covering dozens of devices.
That's all! Now you know how to download, install, and use NordVPN on Nintendo Switch. If you have further queries, drop us a comment through the below button. Thanks for reading!