If you're using the personal cloud storage device Western Digital My Cloud, you must keep your data safeguarded by configuring a VPN on it. These devices can easily run NordVPN when connected via SSH. The setup process can be a bit difficult for first-time users. But, fret not! We've curated a step-by-step guide on how to configure and use NordVPN on the Western Digital My Cloud device. Have a look.
This guide has been prepared by configuring NordVPN on WD My Cloud EX2 FW Version 2.30.165.
1. First, visit the NordVPN website.
2. Next, click the Grab the Deal button and choose a VPN subscription on the upcoming screen.
3. Now, fill in the required details as per your preferred payment method.
4. Once done, wait for a confirmation on your subscription.
5. After that, visit the default IP address of your device; find it in the user manual.
6. Move to Settings next and choose Network from the left pane.
7. Next, enable SSH under the Network Services tab.
8. A new SSH window will pop up now; choose I accept and click the OK button.
9. You've to enter your SSH Password now, and your connection will be enabled.
10. Then, download an SSH application like Bitvise SSH Client if you're using a Windows PC.
11. In this app UI, you've to specify your WD IP address within the Host field right under the Server section.
12. Next, navigate to Authentication and enter your SSH credentials in the Username and Password fields.
13. When done, click Login.
14. You'll be connected to your device now; here, two different windows will open.
15. Move to the SFTP window as you need to upload a few files to your device and the terminal in this section.
16. Next, click here to download the .ovpn server configuration files for the one in your desired location; you can find these files under the Show available protocols option.
17. When the files are downloaded, go back to the control page of your device (step 15) and click the Browse option.
18. Now, drag and drop the .ovpn files into the SFTP window.
19. Next, type the command ‘openvpn.bin filename’ within the terminal; replace ‘filename’ with your .ovpn server configuration file name.
In case the openvpn.bin command doesn't work, you've to use the openvpn filename command. For example-
20. After that, hit Enter in the terminal and enter your NordVPN service username and password.
21. For that, visit your NordVPN online account dashboard and find your service credentials under the Advanced configuration tab.
22. As soon as you enter your service credentials, the initialization process will start.
23. Once you get the Initialization Sequence Completed output, your device will be connected to NordVPN.
That's all! Now you know how to configure and use NordVPN on Western Digital My Cloud. If you’ve further queries, drop us a comment through the below button. Thanks for reading!