Buying things online has never been easier. But do you know that while shopping on the go using a public WiFi network, you are giving away your sensitive user details? That includes everything from your payment card details, banking credentials up to your shipping address and phone number. And yes, that’s also the reason why finding and using the best VPN for banking isn’t optional anymore - it’s essential.
Yes, online transactions through unprotected connections always pose a risk to your financial security. Identity fraud and phishing attacks are so common these days that it's essential to secure your online banking credentials. No matter if you're making an NEFT, IMPS, RTGS, or ECS transaction, your banking details cannot bypass the snooping eyes on the Internet.
However, when using a VPN, it adds an extra layer of protection to all your online transactions and keeps your identity anonymous on the Web. Thus, a VPN shields your privacy to every extent, even if you're using mobile applications to complete financial transactions.
Still, choosing the best VPN for online banking is not that easy, as many options are available on the market. You need to adhere to a few quality parameters before deciding. We've researched different online communities and social media platforms to weigh the users' feedback and curate the list of top 5 VPNs for online banking. Scroll down to know about the best VPN service providers in detail.
Best VPN for Online Banking
The below list of the top 5 VPNs for securing your online banking will help you pick the one as per your requirements. Have a look.
1. ExpressVPN - Best VPN for Online Banking Overall
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for online banking, as well as for any other online activity, especially for those who want fast performance while using a VPN service. With 3,000+ high-speed VPN servers, this VPN has servers located in 94 countries worldwide. The company offers military-grade encryption and supports OpenVPN, L2TP, and IPSec security protocols to ensure the utmost privacy of your banking data.
ExpressVPN also has a bulletproof no-logs policy. That's why you can stay sure of the fact that no one is storing your banking credentials while making an online payment. Also, if you are still a newbie as far as using a VPN is concerned, the amazing customer support from ExpressVPN will be a great plus for you.
In case you need additional information, feel free to check out our ExpressVPN review.
- 24/7 customer support
- Up to 30 days money-back guarantee
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Up to 5 simultaneous connections
- On the pricier side
2. CyberGhost VPN - Most Cost-Effective VPN
Cyberghost offers a 256-AES encryption protocol to ensure top-graded privacy standards for secure online purchases. If you are looking for a cost-effective option, CyberGhost is the best solution for you. With their headquarters in Romania (affected by EU laws), the VPN service provider has an impeccable no-log policy.
Also, with CyberGhost, you can enjoy specially optimized servers for media streaming and torrenting. This hugely popular VPN even offers a dedicated IP address feature for an additional fee. You can use the same IP tunneling to get a secure environment every time you make an online transaction.
Also, don't forget to have a look at our complete CyberGhost VPN review.
- Works on 7 devices with a single plan
- 256-AES encryption for ultimate banking security
- Highly customizable VPN protocols
- Up to 45 days money-back guarantee
- Absolute no-log policy
- Average server speed
3. NordVPN - Best for High-End Encryption
When it comes to VPNs for online banking, NordVPN is by far the most advanced VPN provider available on the market. With their next-gen encryption technology, NordVPN can secure your classified banking data. From online shopping to Internet banking, we use multiple devices to access our bank data online. Thus, securing all the devices is equally important as far as protecting our banking data is concerned. And yes, NordVPN helps you achieve just that.
This VPN allows you to connect up to six devices using a single subscription. Therefore, no matter whether you are using your computer or smartphone to make an online purchase, your sensitive banking details will always remain safe.
Check out our NordVPN review to find more information on this VPN.
- Can connect up to 6 devices at a time
- Has more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- Military-grade encryption
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Somewhat complicated for inexperienced users
4. Surfshark - Unlimited Device Usage
Do you need a VPN that allows connections from unlimited devices from a single account? Well, Surfshark can be the best option for you in that case. As we access our banking data from multiple devices, it's an important feature that you need to consider while choosing the best VPN for online banking. Surfshark lets you connect across an unlimited number of devices with a single plan.
Thus, with a single VPN client, you can not only proceed with safe online transactions from your laptops, smartphones, or desktops but also can use it on your streaming devices to access geo-restricted content across the globe.
Want to learn more about this VPN's features? Have a look at our Surfshark review.
- Available at a cost-effective price
- Connects to unlimited devices with a single account
- Offers ‘Camouflage’ mode to hide your VPN usage
- Has 3,200 servers in 65 countries
- Email support is not that good
5. Private Internet Access - The Biggest Server Network
What attracts users most is its ability to connect to 10 devices simultaneously. With a presence in over 78 countries, PIA has been among the best VPN for online banking for 10 years. In addition, it has its own MACE software, which protects you from accessing any fake websites or malicious ads.
PIA also has 256-bit AES encryption, which works well when it comes to protecting your online banking credentials. With features like instant setup, Private Internet Access is the easiest one to use among all the VPNs we have listed here. Not only that, but PIA has included SOCKS5 proxy to ensure ultimate safety while making online transactions.
If you are looking for more details on this VPN, you should check out our Private Internet Access review.
- 10 devices can be connected through the same VPN account
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Has 35,000+ servers in 78 countries
- Not the fastest VPN out there
How Does a VPN Keep Your Online Banking Safe?
When you connect to the Internet through public Wi-Fi, your personal details are exposed to malicious actors present on the same network. Eliminating such vulnerabilities, a VPN creates a secure tunnel to let you establish an encrypted connection with the Internet through it. That means your data first gets encrypted before leaving your data, 100% hidden from anyone.
In the same way, your system receives encrypted data from the Internet while connected to a VPN. This way, cyber-criminals can't track your online presence and your banking information.
We also do online transactions on the go, even pay bills at hotels or restaurants. But as soon as you log into the banking app, your device becomes susceptible to hackers. That's why, irrespective of your device, using a VPN for each one of them is essential. Not only that, but you may also require a VPN connection to bypass geo-restrictions and access online banking from a different region.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Online Banking
Almost all VPN providers claim to be 100% safe for online banking, but there is no way to cross-check that. So, you can't trust one provider's offerings; instead, you must stick to specific quality parameters to understand whether or not the VPN you are choosing is worth it. The best VPN for online banking must have the below-mentioned features.
- Military-grade encryption: The key to safe online banking is using a VPN that offers high-level encryption. Choose a VPN that uses 256-bit AES encryption protocol to secure your online activities. Different governments around the world use that same level of protection to keep highly sensitive information protected.
- Availability of servers in your home country: You may not know, but your bank will flag your account or block your card if you use an international server for your transactions. That's why you must choose a VPN that has numerous servers in your home country so that you can connect to different ones each time you make an online transaction, even while traveling.
- Accessibility through multiple devices: Many VPN providers allow their users to have the benefits of using the same account on different devices. It's a crucial feature to have in the best VPN for online banking because you’ll never know when you may need to make transactions using your phone, tablet, or PC.
- Blocks phishing: Some VPNs have incorporated highly advanced features like detecting a malicious link or blocking suspicious pop-ups automatically. These VPNs ensure you don't download any malware or spyware on your system accidentally. For novice Internet users and those who follow Internet security tips, using this VPN feature is mandatory.
Along with this checklist, you must ensure getting a paid VPN connection with no-log policies. The free VPN providers may store and trade your data if needed - but a paid VPN subscription will nullify such issues.
What NOT to Do While Using a VPN for Online Banking?
You must not switch your server location frequently while banking online. Doing so will alert your bank, and they will notice the activity. In addition, that may lead to declining your transaction and freezing the account as your bank suspects fraud.
So, try to choose a single VPN server and stick to that location only. However, even if your bank blocks your card or account, you can always contact them to authenticate your identity and unfreeze your funds.
That's all! Now you've got a clear overview of the best VPN for online banking. It's time to choose the one which will fit your requirements as well as your budget. For further queries, post your comment just below. Thanks for reading!