A number of D-Link routers support the VPN functionality, letting you secure your connection from your computer to your router. That way, you allow your router to encrypt your data, providing a security layer to everything you do online. Still, getting “there” isn’t quite easy, as you need a trustworthy guide to help you. With that said, we wish you a warm welcome to our guide on how to set up a VPN on a D-Link router.
As mentioned just above, we’ll show you how to create VPN connections directly to your router, which is what you’ll find on most VPN-compatible D-Link routers. In case you’d like to use a commercial VPN instead, we recommend going for ExpressVPN. In that case, check our guide on how to install ExpressVPN on your D-Link router.
Step #1: Enable the VPN Functionality on Your D-Link Router
By default, the VPN functionality on D-Link routers comes disabled. So, your first step is to enable this option, done in the following way.
1. First, access your router’s admin panel. Here’s how that is done.
2. Using the top-placed main menu, navigate to Features > Quick VPN.
3. Make sure to enable the VPN functionality by clicking on ‘L2TP over IPSec.’
4. Create your username, password, and PSK (pre-shared key).
5. Finally, click on ‘Save‘ just above the form you’ve filled out.
Step #2: Add a New VPN Connection to Your Windows PC
The next phase of setting up a VPN on your D-Link router includes creating a new connection from your Windows PC. Here’s what exactly you need to do.
1. Using Windows’ Start Menu, navigate to ‘Control Panel.’
2. Pick ‘Network & Internet.’ Then, select ‘Network and Sharing Center.’
3. Use the link that reads ‘Set Up a New Connection or Network.’
4. At this moment, a ‘Setup Wizard‘ should appear, letting you pick a connection option.
5. Go ahead with ‘Connect to a Workplace,’ and then select ‘Next.’
6. Pick ‘Use My Internet Connection (VPN).’
7. You now need to configure your VPN connection. Check below for more info.
At this moment, you will need to fill out two fields – ‘Internet Address‘ and ‘Destination Name.’ Those can be somewhat confusing, so here’s what kind of information those who fields require:
- Internet Address: This should be your D-Link router’s public IP address (so, not its private IP, which you use to edit its settings). To find your router’s public IP, access its admin panel (like you did before) and check its configuration information.
- Destination Name: This is actually your future VPN connection’s name. You can input anything here – but make sure to create a connection with a memorable name, to simplify the following steps of setting up a VPN on your D-Link router.
8. Check the box next to ‘Don’t connect now, just set it up so I can connect later.’
9. Then, press ‘Next,’ and you will be asked for your username and password.
10. Input your username and password, and finish by using the ‘Create‘ button.
11. Lastly, use the ‘Close‘ button to exit the setup wizard.
Don’t forget that you need to input the username and password you created at the beginning of this guide while editing your router’s ‘Quick VPN’ feature.
Step #3: Make Final Changes to Your VPN Connection
To finish setting up a VPN on your D-Link router, you need to add one crucial piece of information to your connection. That would be its PSK (pre-shared key), required for authorization purposes. So, go through the following steps.
1. Using Windows’ Start Menu, go to ‘Control Panel.’
2. Pick ‘Network & Internet,’ and then open the ‘Network and Sharing Center.’
3. On the left-hand side, use the ‘Change Adapter Settings‘ option.
4. Find the newly created connection, right-click on it, and pick ‘Properties.’
5. If asked to authenticate/confirm your action, make sure to do so.
6. Then, pick the ‘Security‘ tab.
7. Now, select ‘Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec).’
8. Use the ‘Advanced Settings‘ button.
9. Click on the radio button next to ‘Use pre-shared key for authentication.’
10. And lastly, enter your PSK (the same one you created earlier).
11. Click on the ‘OK‘ buttons to exit your VPN connection’s properties.
Step #4: Connect to Your D-Link Router’s VPN Connection
You’ve reached the final step of our guide on setting up a VPN on your D-Link router. Here’s how to connect and utilize your brand-new VPN connection.
1. Reach your VPN connection using the ‘Control Panel.’ So, you need to navigate to Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
2. Then, right-click on your VPN connection’s icon and pick ‘Connect.’
3. You might be asked to input your username and password. Then, click ‘Connect‘ again.
If you’d like your computer to remember your credentials for future use, check the box next to ‘Save this user name and password for the following users – Anyone.’ That way, you won’t be bothered by this prompt in the future.
That’s it – you should now be connected to your router’s VPN. And with that said, you now know how to setup a VPN on your D-Link router. In case you have any questions, make sure to post your comment just below. And finally, thank you for reading!