Kodi supports installing different kinds of addons from external sources (outside of Kodi's official repository). For that purpose, the addon you plan to install should come as a ZIP file. That's because installation files of individual add-ons come as one-file archives, with Kodi extracting their contents and placing the files where they need to be.
Therefore, the question is - how to install Kodi addons from ZIP files? Well, know that Kodi supports such action on its own, which means that you already have the required tools. We're here to explain how that is done, so keep on reading this guide.
Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ is the latest available major version of the application (Kodi 19.1, Kodi 19.2, Kodi 19.3, and Kodi 19.4 were also released). Still, if you haven’t updated Kodi yet, know that the latest version breaks compatibility with a large number of add-ons.
You’ll need to wait for third-party developers to make their add-ons compatible with Kodi 19, which could take a while. We’ve seen some progress when it comes to add-ons from Kodi’s official repository. However, the situation is still very problematic for add-ons that come from outside Kodi’s repository.
Therefore, if you use many add-ons, stick to Kodi 18.9 for now. Keep in mind that downgrading from Kodi 19 to Kodi 18 can be a very tricky task to accomplish (even impossible in many cases).
How to Install a Kodi Addon From a ZIP File
This is a straightforward process, where even inexperienced Kodi users can learn the ropes in no time. So, here's our instruction on how to install Kodi addons from ZIP files.
- Before doing anything else, you need to enable Kodi’s support for unknown sources. This is a very important prerequisite, helping you "open" Kodi for third-party content.
- Then, click on 'Add-Ons' using Kodi’s main menu (on the left side of the screen).
- In the top-left corner, you’ll find the open box icon. Click on it.
- Select 'Install from ZIP File,' which will open a pop-up window.
- Using the pop-up window, you need to navigate to the location of the ZIP file.
If you can’t find the ZIP file, we recommend placing the file where you’ll find it without going too deep into your system. For example, you can place it on your desktop (on Windows) or in your Downloads folder (on macOS).
- Windows (Desktop Folder): Navigate to C:/ > Users > (your username) > Desktop.
- Mac (Downloads Folder): Navigate to Home Folder > Downloads.
- Once you find the ZIP file, click on it. Kodi will now install the addon, which should not take more than a couple of moments. You'll see a notification in the top-right corner of Kodi's interface.
- Return to Kodi's home screen, select 'Add-ons' from the main menu, and navigate to the add-on you've installed. To open it, click on its title (icon). That's it!
So, which addons can you try? You can check our article on the best Kodi repositories, where you’ll find several options for 'external' Kodi addons – the ones that are installed via ZIP files. All of those are legal and safe-to-use, so there’s nothing to be worried about.
Want to Learn More About Using Kodi?
Lastly, we'd like to offer some helpful resources for both inexperienced and advanced Kodi users. These will help you improve your user experience and reach all-new Kodi features.
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
Depending on what types of addons you plan to use, keep in mind that using a VPN for Kodi is essential. Here’s why you need to use a Kodi VPN. And to see which ones you should install right now, these are the best VPNs for Kodi overall.
That would all on how to install Kodi addons from ZIP files. In case you have any questions, make sure to post your comment below. And also, don’t forget to share this article online. Thanks for reading – and enjoy using Kodi!