- Two weeks after the previous Release Candidate, Kodi 18 Leia RC4 has been officially published.
- The newest RC contains important bug fixes and performance improvements.
- There’s no word on the official release date of Kodi 18. However, we expect to see in early 2019.
Even though many of us were hoping to see the final Kodi 18 Leia release by now, Kodi’s developers are taking their time to polish the world’s most popular home theater software. The fourth Release Candidate has just been published, continuing a series of bug fixes. The latest RC comes two weeks after Kodi 18 Leia RC3, which has been released without much hype.
First, let’s take a look at the official list of the most prominent changes that Kodi 18 Leia RC4 brings. Please note that some of these were introduced in the previous RC build as well, which came out without a changelog.
- Documentation regarding Python- and skin-related development has been updated;
- Mpeg4 HD restriction has been removed on Android. There might be some playback problems, which have been noted, and which should be fixed soon;
- Resolution can now be automatically changed when the application starts;
- You can now to hide spoilers within the application’s library view;
- New iOS devices are now fully supported by Kodi 18 Leia RC4.
Kodi’s developers have been busy fixing bugs as well. So, here’s everything that has been fixed in the previous two Release Candidates.
- Music files containing ID3v2 UFID frame no longer crash the application;
- Info-labels related to music no longer misbehave;
- Interface-related glitch with minimizing on MacOS has been resolved;
- Problems related to subtitle positioning and crashes due to looking up external subtitles have been fixed;
- Problem related to whitelist issues on Windows are no longer present.
For a more in-depth look, we recommend you turn to Kodi’s GitHub page. More precisely, here are all Kodi 18 RC4 changes. If you’d like to take a deeper look, you also find a recently updated list of RC3 changes.
As you can guess by now, we won’t be seeing the final Kodi 18 release by the end of this year. As Kodi’s developers have noted, they’re not in a rush to publish the next major iteration. Instead, they are focused on polishing the software and making it as error-free as possible. After all, the upcoming version brings numerous under the hood changes, and you can read all about them in our dedicated Kodi 18 Leia article.
Lastly, Kodi 18 Leia RC4 is available from download from the official website. Choose your preferred platforms, and download the latest RC using the ‘Pre-Release’ tab.