When it comes to the most popular streaming services, Hulu has always been one of the very best. This streaming platform provides a lot of value for its subscribers, with its basic package starting at just $5.99/month. However, there’s truly plenty to choose from, so let’s talk about Hulu’s packages and prices, updated for 2021.
4 Hulu Subscription Plans and Prices
Hulu offers a total of four subscription plans. There’s a large collection of channels and on-demand content available in the plans, so take your time in choosing the right plan for you.
Here’s a quick overview of what to expect. And then, we’ll give you an in-depth explanation of what each of Hulu’s plans and packages offers.
|Hulu Plan||Hulu No Ads Plan||Hulu + Live TV Plan||Hulu No Ads + Live TV Plan|
|Free Trial||30 days||30 days||7 days||7 days|
|DVR||NA||NA||200 hours||200 hours|
|Live TV Guide||No||No||Yes||Yes|
1. Hulu Plan ($5.99/Month)
The most basic plan available on Hulu is the ad-supported plan. It gives the users access to a large collection of movies and TV shows available in Hulu’s streaming library.
One of the most attractive features of this plan is that you can watch the latest episodes of shows from major networks like ABC, FX, CBS, and HGTV the very next day after they air. The plan also includes Hulu originals. Here’s what this plans offers (as well as how it’s different from other Hulu plans):
- Downloadable hub: This feature allows users to download their favorite content into the device and watch them later. If you are someone who likes to do so, then have a look at the No-Ads plans available on Hulu. The Hulu plan does not have this feature in it.
- Watch Party: The Watch Party feature gives users access to connect up to 8 people into a single watch session. The users must have a device compatible with Hulu.
2. Hulu No Ads Plan ($11.99/Month)
This plan is similar to the previously explained plan, with the added benefit that the services are completely ad-free. Users can watch the latest TV shows, documentaries, Hulu originals, and blockbuster movies – without any limitation. Here’s what you can expect:
- Downloadable hub: One of the best features yet, the downloadable hub enables users to download their favorite content (ad-free) from the large collection of movies and TV shows in the streaming library of Hulu. The feature is available on iOS, Android, and Fire TV.
- Watch Party: If you want to watch your favorite TV shows or movies with your friends and family who are away from you, then this feature could help you do just that. The Hulu Watch Party feature allows users to connect up to eight people into a single watch party session. The only necessity is that all of them need to have a supported Web browser.
3. Hulu + Live TV Plan ($64.99/Month)
With the Hulu + Live TV plan, subscribers can get access to not just the Hulu streaming library but also to the live TV and on-demand channels. Some of the content that the users can access includes live sports, primetime dramas, breaking news, and weather forecasts.
This plan provides 75+ on-demand and live channels like MTV, Disney Channel, NASA, ESPN, and Fox News. But unlike the Hulu No Ads plan, this Live TV plan does have ads in it.
- Cloud DVR: With this feature, you can now record your favorite shows that you could have missed otherwise and watch them whenever you like. The feature allows a 50-hour record limit, and you can delete the recorded shows once you have watched them. You can also include the Enhanced Cloud DVR add-on to your subscription which will give you a total of 200 hours of record time.
- Downloadable hub: Unlike the Hulu No-Ads plan, there is no downloadable hub available in this plan. If you have no problem watching the programs in real-time, then the lack of this feature may not make much of a difference.
- Watch Party: This feature is available on all plans provided by Hulu and gives the users access to connect with up to 8 people and conduct a watch session with the help of a supported device.
- Live TV Guide: Who doesn’t like to have a live guide for their TV? The Live Guide feature is available in the Live TV plans and provides users with the program list over the next two weeks.
4. Hulu No Ads + Live TV Plan ($70.99/Month)
The Hulu No Ads + Live TV plan is almost the same as the Hulu + Live TV plan except for the fact that the former plan is completely ad-free for the on-demand content. When it comes to live TV, there will be ads in between.
While the Hulu plan and the Hulu No Ads plan give users access to only on-demand content, the Live TV plans allow users to watch both on-demand and live TV content.
It has more channels and additional features in comparison to the Hulu Plan and the Hulu No Ads plan. Users can enter their ZIP code and check the regional, national, and local networks available in their area. The extra on-demand movies and TV shows available in the plan may have ads in between them as they do not come under the streaming library of Hulu.
- Cloud DVR: If you can’t watch shows and movies during the time of their broadcast, then the Cloud DVR feature allows you to record up to 50 hours of content on your device. Along with the basic 50 hours of record time that comes with the plan, you can now use the Enhanced Cloud DVR add-on to help increase the record time to 200 hours.
- Downloadable hub: Users can download content from the ad-free episodes available on Hulu. This is a feature available only in ad-free plans such as this.
- Watch Party: Now distance need not be a barrier to enjoy your favorite shows with your family and friends. You can host a watch party with no hassle with this feature available along with the plan.
- Live TV Guide: Just like the Hulu+Live TV plan, we have a live TV guide available in this plan also, to help the users navigate through the contents.
Hulu offers a special discount that allows college students to access the Hulu plan for just $1.99/month. This offer applies to Hulu’s standard subscription plan (with ads).
Hulu Add-Ons & Upgrades
Apart from the channels and features available in Hulu’s subscription plans, you can also choose additional features and premium channels to enhance your streaming experience. All of them are explained in detail below.
If you feel like Hulu’s on-demand library and live TV needs an upgrade, have a look at the premium add-ons available. The premium add-ons are available for all subscription plans.
1. HBO MAX ($14.99/Month): A fan of HBO? Then this premium add-on might be of interest to you. The HBO MAX add-on gives you access to the latest episodes of HBO favorites, HBO MAX Originals, blockbuster shows, and movies available on the HBO MAX App. If this sounds like something you would like to have on your watch list, make sure to give the on-demand media streaming service a visit.
2. HBO Classic ($14.99/Month): The HBO Classic add-on gives users access to some of the very best TV shows, documentaries, and chartbuster movies without having the need to go to a different app for the same. Unlike the HBO Max add-on, the HBO Classic is available within Hulu. Also, this add-on gives you access to HBO live, which is not supported by HBO MAX. So if you do not prefer switching your streaming apps, consider choosing the HBO Classic add-on.
3. CINEMAX ($9.99/Month): For all the action lovers out there, Hulu offers the CINEMAX add-on. This add-on has original action series like Outcast, Banshee, and Strike Back available in it. It also has blockbuster movies, and behind-the-scenes exclusives for the extra sneak peek. Do check out the channel to know more about the programs offered and other details.
4. SHOWTIME ($10.99/Month): Who doesn’t love classic TV shows like Homeland, The Affair, Billions, and Shameless! The Showtime add-on is filled with some of the very best TV shows along with the latest films on championship boxing and other blockbusters. Sounds interesting? Then consider adding this to your subscription plan.
5. STARZ ($8.99/Month): If you are a fan of theatrical movies and does not know where to find them, the STARZ add-on may be able to help you. This premium add-on has a great collection of the latest theatrical movies featuring the very best actors of Hollywood. The add-on also gives you access to TV shows like Power and Outlander.
Two screens might be too little for some users when it comes to simultaneous screening. If you feel the same way, then do check out the feature add-ons available in Hulu. The feature add-ons are available only for live TV subscribers.
1. Unlimited Screen add-on ($9.99/Month): All the plans offered by Hulu allow its users to stream the services from two screens simultaneously. This might be a limiting factor when you have a large family with different likes and preferences. If that is the case, then the Unlimited Screen add-on can be a staple to your subscription plan. As the name suggests, this feature add-on allows users to watch the content from unlimited screens at the same time.
The devices used to stream the service must be supported by Hulu, and all of the devices must be connected to your home network for the feature to work. But if you are also subscribed to premium add-ons like Cinemax, HBO, STARZ, and SHOWTIME, the simultaneous streaming capacity for these would be only five screens, out of which three can be out-of-home mobile devices.
2. Enhanced Cloud DVR add-on ($9.99/Month): If the available 50 hours is not enough for you, try upgrading to the Enhanced Cloud DVR add-on. It makes the storage capacity to a total of 200 hours, and the users can fast forward through the ads that come in between the recorded content. This add-on is available to only live TV subscribers.
Hulu subscribers also can combine both the ‘Unlimited Screen’ add-on and the ‘Enhanced Cloud DVR’ add-on for a discounted amount of $14.99/month.
Need more entertainment in your subscription plan? Want to add more Spanish content to your watchlist? Do visit these add-ons. The network add-ons are available for live TV subscriptions only.
1. Espanol add-on ($4.99/Month): This network add-on is curated for the Spanish audience and has all the famous on-demand and live TV shows of Spanish television. Some of the channels included here are CNN en Espanol, Discovery en Espanol, Discovery Familia, History Channel en Espanol, and ESPN Deportes.
2. Entertainment add-on ($7.99/Month): The Entertainment add-on focuses more on lifestyle and news, so if you are someone interested in these genres, do have a look at this one. Channels like CNBC World, DIY, MTV2, Discovery Family, and Nicktoons are what you get with this add-on.
The Disney Bundle
Hulu offers three variants of the Disney+ bundle to its users. Even though the basic channels offered are the same, there are some additional features available in some bundles.
- The Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ bundle ($13.99/Month): Even though Hulu ($5.99/month) offers ESPN+ ($5.99/month) and Disney+ ($7.99/month/month) as independent add-ons, users can save around $6 by subscribing to the Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle. So, if you are looking for a bundle that covers both entertainment and sports, then this is the one for you.
- The Disney+ with Hulu (No Ads) bundle ($19.99/Month): The only difference between this bundle and the Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ bundle is that the former has ads in it while the latter is ad-free. Every other service remains the same for both bundles.
- The Disney+ with Hulu + Live TV bundle ($72.99/Month): This bundle gives users access to the ad-supported Hulu streaming library along with 60+ channels, including live sports and the latest TV shows. You can easily add Disney+ to your existing Hulu or ESPN+ subscription plan too. So the additional advantage of this bundle is the access to live TV.
With these bundles, viewers access the latest episodes of their favorite TV shows like Modern Family and The Handmaid’s Tale and movies from production houses like Marvel, Disney, and Pixar. Subscribers also get live sports events from MLB and UFC through ESPN+ and also ESPN+ originals starring LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Peyton Manning, so do check these bundles out.
Now that you have a complete idea of the Hulu packages and prices, what do you think about this streaming platform? If it has the elements you were looking for in a comprehensive streaming platform, make sure to give their website a visit and maybe even get a subscription plan and become a part of the Hulu family!