Accepted WhatsApp’s New Policy by Mistake? – Is There Anything You Can Do Right Now?
Option #1: Delete Your WhatsApp Account
So, here’s how to properly delete your WhatsApp account.
- Open the WhatsApp app on your smartphone.
- Tap on ‘Settings,’ found in the bottom-right corner.
- Then, select ‘Account‘ and tap on ‘Delete My Account.’
- You will need to re-enter your phone number. Once you do so, tap on ‘Delete My Account.’
- WhatsApp will ask for your feedback. Tap on ‘Next‘ and confirm your decision by tapping on ‘Delete My Account‘ again. That’s it!
Option #2: Abandon Your WhatsApp Account
Abandoning your WhatsApp account won’t stop the app’s new policy from going into effect. However, it will stop any potential data harvesting done between WhatsApp and Facebook. Still, if you plan on abandoning your account, know that we recommend deleting it instead (as explained above). This will force WhatsApp to delete any data associated with your account.
Option #3: Switch to a More Privacy-Friendly Chat App
Finally, you can think of these latest developments as an incentive to switch to a new chat app. We’ve seen this happening across the world, with apps such as Telegram and Signal coming as the best alternatives right now.
Both of those apps are designed to safeguard and protect your privacy. They don’t collect any personally identifiable information, come free of charge, and allow you to exchange messages and calls. With that said, we highly recommend both Telegram and Signal.