So, you’ve decided to create your Kodi media library. We’re sure that movies are going to be an essential part of that media collection, and you’d like to know how to import them. This is a straightforward process, so we’re here to teach you how to add movies to a Kodi library.
In case you didn’t know, you can also import photos and music files to Kodi. However, when it comes to importing movies, we’re talking about importing videos to this application. As Kodi can differentiate between file types, you need to specify that you’re importing movies (and not TV shows, for example).
So, here’s how to add movies to your Kodi library.
1. First, make sure to organize your movies into a single folder. You can still use sub-folders to manage your library – but all your files need to be in one master folder.
2. Launch Kodi and place your cursor over the ‘Videos’ item on the main menu.
3. Take a look at the top of the screen and select ‘Files.’
4. Now, click on ‘Add Videos,’ and a pop-up window should appear on the screen.
5. Use the ‘Browse’ button to navigate to the folder containing your movies. Click ‘OK’ to confirm the path so that Kodi can analyze it later on.
6. You also need to name this file source. You can go with ‘Movies,’ or use something else you’ll easily recognize in the future (if you wish to update this library with new content).
7. Click on ‘OK’ to dismiss the pop-up, and a new one will appear – titled ‘Set Content.’
8. This is where you need to let Kodi know that you’re importing movies. Click on the ‘This Directory Contains’ field, and then select ‘Movies.’
9. As you’ll see, The Movie Database will be selected as the default information provider. If you wish to change that, click on the appropriate field.
10. You also have several options related to content scanning. In general, Kodi automatically selects the most appropriate features. Therefore, click on ‘OK.’
11. Kodi will ask you to update the source of your newly added files. Go ahead with ‘Yes.’
12. Depending on your library’s size, Kodi will now import your movies, check their metadata information, and finally – populate your library. That’s it!
If you’d like to learn more about using Kodi, make sure to check our website for additional content. For example, we recommend our Beginner’s Guide to Kodi and our Ultimate Kodi Guide for more advanced users.
That would be all on how to add movies to a Kodi library. If you have any questions for us, make sure to let us know via the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article online. Thanks, and enjoy using Kodi!