Paramount+ is available as a tvOS app, compatible with most Apple TVs. There's also an option to subscribe to the streaming service through tvOS' TV app (where you can pick from a range of channels). With that said, there are different ways to get started, which can be a bit confusing for tvOS users. We're here to help, so let's talk about how to get Paramount Plus on your Apple TV.
Which Apple TV Models Work With Paramount+?
As per the official technical documentation supplied by Paramount Plus, this media streaming app is available on the following Apple TV devices:
- Apple TV HD (4th generation)
- Apple TV 4K (1st and 2nd generation)
In terms of the supported models, you can use Paramount Plus on the following Apple TVs:
- A1625 (Apple TV HD - 4th generation - released in 2015)
- A1842 (Apple TV 4K - 1st generation - released in 2017)
- A2169 (Apple TV 4K - 2nd generation - released in 2021)
You can check your Apple TV’s model number on the bottom of the device itself - or via the Settings app. Also, you can always check the tvOS App Store and see whether Paramount+ is available as an app for your Apple TV.
How to Get Paramount Plus on Apple TV
You will be happy to know that Paramount Plus comes as a native tvOS app, taking full advantage of your Apple TV. Here’s how to get started with this app:
- First, make sure to sign up for Paramount Plus (7 days free).
- Now, return to your Apple TV for the rest of this process.
- From your Apple TV’s home screen, navigate to the tvOS 'App Store.'
- Highlight the search tab (in the top-right corner of your screen).
- Using the on-screen virtual keyboard, type in 'Paramount Plus.'
- Open the app’s overview, and then select 'Get.'
- Once the app downloads, go ahead and open it.
- When asked how to log in, select 'On paramountplus.com.'
- Using your computer or phone, visit paramountplus.com/appletv.
- Input your activation code to log in. You'll log in automatically on your Apple TV.
Can I Stream Paramount+ in 4K on Apple TV?
Yes, Paramount Plus comes with a range of 4K and HDR titles. That applies to both movies and TV shows. However, keep in mind that 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision titles are available only via Paramount Plus' Premium subscription plan.
To access Paramount Plus’ 4K content, you need an Apple TV 4K model and a TV that supports video resolutions of up to 4K. On top of that, Paramount Plus supports Dolby Atmos, allowing you to take full advantage of your surround sound system.
Can I Get Paramount+ as an Apple TV Channel?
Yes, Paramount+ is available as an Apple TV channel. As soon as you open the 'TV' app (on your Apple TV or any other Apple-made device), you will see Paramount+ among the available channels. Therefore, you can subscribe to this streaming service from there as well.
Keep in mind that subscribing to Paramount+ via the TV app won't give you the same experience as subscribing via the Paramount+ app.
For example, the TV app will charge you $9.99 per month, giving you access to Paramount Plus Premium. However, the standalone Paramount+ app has a lower-cost subscription (Paramount Plus Essential), priced at $4.99 per month.
Can I Watch Paramount Plus for Free on Apple TV?
Yes, it's possible to watch Paramount Plus for free - for up to 7 days. That's the current duration of Paramount Plus' trial, available to new subscribers.
Keep in mind that Paramount Plus' 7-day trial is free, which means you won't be charged upon signing up. However, you will need to supply your payment information. So, you'll be charged once the trial ends (if you don't cancel your subscription on time).
Paramount Plus Not Working on Apple TV? - Try These Troubleshooting Steps!
If Paramount Plus doesn't work on your Apple TV, there are plenty of troubleshooting actions to try. We've gathered a list of actionable tips, so check them out below.
- Restart Your Apple TV: In some cases, something as simple as restarting your Apple TV might help. To do so, navigate to Settings > System > Restart. You can also try to power-cycle your Apple TV by keeping it unplugged for around 30 seconds.
- Force-Close the Paramount+ App: To allow tvOS to update apps, you should keep them closed while not using them. To force-close the Paramount+ app, you need to double-click the 'Home' button on the Siri remote. Navigate to the Paramount+ app, and then swipe up on the touch surface the close it.
- Update the Paramount+ App: You can't update tvOS apps manually, but you can enable automatic updates using the Settings app. So, navigate to Settings > Apps > Automatically Update Apps (set this option to ON).
- Reinstall the Paramount+ App: Highlight the application using the Siri Remote, and then press and hold the trackpad on your remote. The app's icon will start to wiggle. Press the Play/Pause button on the remote and confirm you want to delete the app. Once you do that, visit the App Store and reinstall Paramount+.
- Update Your Apple TV: Navigate to Settings > System > Software Updates. Select 'Update Software,' and you'll see if an update is available.
What Other Devices Does Paramount Plus Support?
Paramount+ works on computers, smartphones, streaming devices, TVs, gaming consoles, and more. For a more detailed look, check out the full list below.
- Smartphones & Tablets: Android, iPhones & iPads.
- Media Streaming Devices: Fire TV, Roku, TiVo, Android TV.
- Smart TVs: Vizio TVs, LG TVs, Samsung TVs, and other smart TVs.
- Consoles: Xbox, PlayStation.
- Other Devices: Xfinity, Chromecast.
Is Paramount Plus Free on Apple TV?
No, Paramount Plus doesn't come free of charge on Apple TV streaming devices. Instead, it's a premium subscription.
We'll remind you that if you subscribe to Paramount Plus, you'll get a free 7-day trial. So, you'll be charged once your trial ends.
Can I Sign In to Paramount+ with a TV Provider?
No, you can't stream Paramount Plus using your TV provider credentials. That's because Paramount+ is an independent subscription.
However, you can stream CBS programming using your TV provider credentials via the CBS app, available on Apple's App Store.
How to Connect Paramount Plus to Apple's TV App?
To connect Paramount+ to the TV app on your Apple TV, go to TV app > Streaming Apps > Connect More Streaming Apps.
At this moment, you should see a grid of app icons. Navigate to Paramount Plus. If you've installed the app already, you'll need to confirm that you wish to integrate Paramount+ with the TV app. That's it!
How to Cancel Paramount Plus on Apple TV?
To cancel Paramount Plus on your Apple TV, go to Settings > Users & Accounts > (select your name) > Subscriptions.
If you want more in-depth information, we have a guide that explains how to cancel Paramount Plus on Apple TV - so, make sure to use the provided link.
That would be all on how to watch Paramount Plus on your Apple TV. If you have questions for us, know that you can always post a comment below. And finally, thank you for reading!