Here’s a summary of the Best RFID Blocking Wallets
- The Minimalist Marvel: Buffway Slim RFID Blocking Leather Wallet
- The One With Real Leather Style: SERMAN RFID Blocking Slim Bifold
- The Tourist Essential: AmazonBasics RFID Travel Neck Passport Holder Wallet
- Mega Card Capacity: Travelambo Womens Bifold
- The Premium Choice: Bosca Men’s Trifold in Nappa Vitello Leather
Contactless payment systems were already becoming ever more popular before the global pandemic hit. Now some retailers have a strong preference for a quick “tap and pay” than prolonged contact card insertion and pin entry.
Whatever the reason, RFID contactless cards are becoming more and more popular. While they might be convenient, these cards also open up an avenue for tech-savvy criminals. The whole point of “tap and pay” cards is that you don’t need to do anything extra for small purchases.
So when you buy a coffee or pay for a bus ticket, you don’t have to enter your pin each time. This means that someone with a PayPoint could scan your card through your wallet and make off with a small amount of cash.
Alternatively, it may be possible for a criminal to scan your card and clone its RFID signature, letting them pay for small purchases on your account at their leisure.
This seems like a bit of an oversight for the technology, but the good news is that RFID blocking wallets can prevent your card from being read without your knowledge. We looked for some of the best, reasonably-priced options on the market to help protect your RFID data.
What to Look for in RFID Blocking Wallets
Apart from blocking RFID signals, there really isn’t much to tie the category of wallets together. That being said, there are some common aspects of these wallets you should consider:
- Design: Wallets come in many different designs. From slim single-card models to fancy tri-fold monsters, there’s a wallet for every need and taste.
- RFID Card Capacity: Some wallets can only block RFID for one or two cards. Others can offer wider protection. Choose one that suits your number of RFID cards.
- Material: Material quality is a major factor in the quality of a wallet. Genuine leather wallets, for example, tend to be more durable.
- Space: Apart from holding your RFID cards, what else can the wallet accommodate? Driver’s license? Cash? Coins? Consider what you need to carry around and choose accordingly.
5 Best RFID Blocking Wallets
1. The Minimalist Marvel: Buffway Slim RFID Blocking Leather Wallet
The Buffway wallet has the absolute minimum set of features to qualify it as a wallet. Designed to go in your front shirt pocket rather than in your pants, it already makes it harder to skim for criminals.
The downside of this design is that it doesn’t close up. There’s no fold at all. The upside of that is how quick and easy it is to whip out of your front pocket. If you don’t carry much cash, just need a few cards stored with RFID protection and don’t want to spend a lot of money, this is a great choice.
- Minimalist design, with easy access.
- Looks pretty nice and is unisex
- Not much storage space
- Open design might not be for everyone
2. The One With Real Leather Style: SERMAN RFID Blocking Slim Bifold
This slim bifold wallet from Serman falls around the middle of the wallets’ price range here, but you can definitely tell this isn’t a cheap item.
More importantly, it’s a slim bifold that has a ton of features. We especially like the rear ID window, which means you don’t have to open the wallet to show your ID or license to anyone.
Serman says their metal composite blocks the RFID frequency range specifically and effectively. Based on customer reviews, we have no reason to doubt this. We also really like the pull-strap that ejects your cards quickly. Digging for cards is always an annoyance.
- Beautiful design
- Innovative pull-strap
- Plenty of nooks for stuff
- Clever ID window
- ID window could be a privacy weakness
3. The Tourist Essential: AmazonBasics RFID Travel Neck Passport Holder Wallet
No one wants to look like a tourist when traveling, but there are some things you’re better off doing even if they are “touristy.” Wearing a neck wallet like this one is a prime example. When traveling, pickpockets are often a problem. Getting your wallet with all your travel documents stolen can be a disaster!
This net wallet from Amazon will not only help thwart regular thieves, but it will also prevent them from scanning your RFID cards as well.
- High level of safety thanks to its design
- ID window makes sense for travel, can be hidden under clothes
- Nylon is a practical material for travel conditions
- Not great as an everyday wallet
- Looks a little cheap and nasty
4. Mega Card Capacity: Travelambo Womens Bifold
This “women’s” wallet doesn’t actually have a design that comes across as all that gendered, to be honest. What it does have is absolutely massive capacity for cards. It’s hard to imagine one person having this many cards to store, but if you’re always running out of space for your various cards, then this is the wallet you’ve been waiting for.
Apart from its dual zippered pockets, animal lovers will also be pleased to know that this is a vegan leather item. It’s not likely to be quite as durable as genuine leather, but it’s a fair trade-off for many people.
- Massive capacity for cards!
- Two zipper pockets for change or whatever else you need
- It seems mildly unwieldy
5. The Premium Choice: Bosca Men’s Trifold in Nappa Vitello Leather
This wallet from Bosca is the most expensive item on the list, but of course, it’s far from the most costly wallet money can buy. Still, at over $100, this is a serious accessory. It’s genuine Nappa Vitello leather from Italy. These wallets have a high level of quality control.
While the trifold design isn’t for everyone, it does have the distinct advantage of cramming a lot of storage space into a pretty compact form. If you’re looking to treat yourself with something nice and want to upgrade to an RFID blocking wallet, the Bosca is likely to be with you for many years to come.
- Great quality, beautiful leather
- Plenty of room
- It’s not cheap!
- Trifolds can be awkward to use
Blocking Out Bad Vibes
Sometimes it seems like no matter what cool new convenience we get, criminals will find some way to sour the experience. The good news is that an RFID blocking wallet is a simple and elegant solution to at least this one problem. Once you have one, there’s no need to even think about this issue again. That is until it’s time for a new, even more, fashionable one!