Update: The SALTS addon is no longer available. However, there are numerous great alternatives out there. Take a look at our list of the best addons for Kodi to see some of the most popular (and trending) addons that are still fully working. Additionally, here’s a list of the best movie addons as well.
We are sure that you’re reading this article because you’re interested in installing one of the well-known addons, called SALTS. This is an often-mentioned addon, especially if you stumble upon older Reddit threads. As you can imagine, this is because SALTS is one of the oldest and has been one of the most popular addons for a very long time. At the moment, it is facing some legal troubles – but still manages to bring thousands of fully-working streams. Let’s take a deeper look at how to install the SALTS Kodi addon.
Disclaimer: We will be discussing software developed for Kodi – which is based on open-source code. However, the following software comes from unofficial third-parties. In addition, it is publicly available and free of charge. TechNadu doesn’t claim any responsibility for how our readers decide to utilize the following software. Please note that we don’t condone sharing pirated content and copyright infringement. TechNadu is not affiliated with the software mentioned in this article in no way. Make sure to carefully read the above-said disclaimer and ensure the proper use of the software.
WARNING: Before You Continue…
Do you know that everything you do within Kodi might be visible to your Internet service provider? Actually, this applies to pretty much everything you do on the Web. These days, ISPs collect all kinds of personal data and share it with third parties. However, there is a way to stop this. You can use a VPN application to make sure you’re using Kodi as privately as possible.
VPN applications work by rerouting all your Web traffic through an encrypted tunnel. This makes your data unreadable by your Internet service provider. Also, VPNs get you a new IP address every time you connect to the Web. This means that your online presence and your physical location are both hidden. Finally, VPNs can keep malware away from your device and let you watch previously restricted content. We highly recommend using ExpressVPN.
Signing up for ExpressVPN has never been more affordable! Instead of paying $12.95 per month, you can opt for a special promotion and get this amazing VPN for only $6.67 per month! In addition, the annual plan comes with three additional months, free of charge. Sign-up for ExpressVPN and reap the numerous benefits it offers.
SALTS Kodi Addon: The Basics
In the world of popular movie addons, the SALTS addon stands strong. It is specialized in bringing movies and TV shows to Kodi users. If you’re looking for other types of content, you’ll have to look elsewhere. Don’t worry, we have prepared a helpful section where you’ll find different options at the bottom of this article.
What’s important to be said that the SALTS Kodi addon has been abandoned by its developer. So, what exactly does this mean? Well, it means that SALTS still works without any issues. You can use it access a wide range of content. However, you can’t count on receiving regular updates. There is also a chance that some other developer will pick it up, which is often the case with once-popular addons. In the meantime, there’s no need to avoid it. SALTS is still as helpful and useful as ever.
How to Install the SALTS Kodi Addon?
At the moment, you can find the latest official versions of SALTS in the SMASH Repository. This is a well-known and highly-maintained repository of Kodi addons. Therefore, we suggest you take a closer look at it once you install SALTS. We are sure you’ll find other viable alternatives in there.
Before we start telling you how to install SALTS, we need to make sure that third-party addons work with your Kodi. Please, make sure to carefully read the next segment of this article.
By default, Kodi doesn’t work with third-party addons. However, all you need to do is to visit this application’s Settings and toggle a switch to ON. Kodi is trying to protect itself from malicious links on the Web, which is why this option is disabled by default.
- Open Kodi and click on the gear icon in the top-left corner. This will take you to the application’s Settings panel;
- Now click on ‘System Settings’;
- In the left-placed sidebar, select ‘Add-ons’;
- Finally, click on ‘Unknown Sources’ on the right-hand side of the screen;
- By default, Kodi will present a warning message. However, you can feel free to go beyond this message and confirm your decision;
- Finally, it’s wise to double-check if you’ve switched the toggle next to ‘Unknown Sources’ to ON.
Finally, you’ve come to the installation guide of the SALTS Kodi addon. We’ll first tell you how to install the SMASH Repository, and then we’ll proceed to install the addon.
First, you need to add a new file source to Kodi. We’ll be adding a Web-based file source. Let’s begin.
- Open Kodi and go to Settings using the gear icon in the top-left corner;
- Now click on ‘File Manager’;
- On the left side of the screen, double-click on ‘Add Source’;
- At this moment, a pop-up window should appear. Click on ‘<None>’;
- As you’ll see, you will be asked to enter a new Web address. Use the following URL: http://mediarepos.org/kodistuff. Double-check if you’ve entered it correctly;
- Next, provide a name for your new file source. By default, Kodi will name it ‘Kodistuff’. You can feel free to leave that name.
Let’s take a look at we have done so far. First, you’ve made sure that your Kodi works with third-party addons, which is an important prerequisite. Next, we have added a new Web-based file source by adding the URL to the SMASH Repository. We’ll now install that repository and use it to install the SALTS Kodi addon.
- Go back to Kodi’s Home Screen;
- Click on ‘Add-ons’ in the left-placed main menu;
- Now, you should see an open box icon in the top-left corner. Click on this icon;
- Select ‘Install from ZIP File’;
- Navigate to ‘Kodistuff’ using the newly opened pop-up. In there, you should see two files. You need to click on the file that is named ‘reposmash.zip’;
- Wait a few seconds until Kodi provides a message in the top-right corner. This message will say that the SMASH Repo is now installed.
Finally, all there’s left is to access the SMASH Repo and find our new addon. You’re only a couple of steps away from having an enormous content library. Let’s finish this procedure.
- Return to Kodi’s Home Screen and then click on ‘Add-ons’ in the main menu;
- Once again, click on the open box icon in the top-left corner;
- This time, you need to select ‘Install from Repository’;
- Navigate to SMASH Repo > Video Add-ons > Stream All The Sources (which is what SALTS stands for). Click on the addon’s name to enter its overview screen;
- Finally, click on the ‘Install’ button.
After a few seconds, you will see a notification that the SALTS Kodi addon has been installed. You can now go back to the Add-ons section of Kodi, where you’ll find the newly installed addon. Go ahead and try it out.
SALTS Kodi Addon: What to Expect?
As you’ll see once you launch this addon for the first time, it brings only two content categories. In fact, there are only three items in its main menu:
- TV Shows;
Even though this addon is fairly simple, it does have some very interesting features. Let’s take a look at what each of these content categories hides within.
By entering this content category, you will be greeted by a large selection of sub-folders where each of these subfolders is a way to filter the available content. Let’s take a closer look.
- Trending Movies, Popular Movies, Anticipated Movies, and Recently Updated Movies all feature a very similar selection of movie titles. If you think about it, trending and popular movies and practically the same category;
- Movie Mosts is a very interesting category. This is where you can find most watched movies based on different time periods (daily, weekly, monthly, and similar);
- Genres, as its name implies, is where you can sort the available movies by genres. At the moment, there are 33 genres available, so there’s a lot to choose from;
- Other Lists lets you add watchlists created by other users. You can find some suggestions online, but many of these are obsolete. We recommend skipping this sub-folder;
- Search, Recent Searches, and Saved Searches allow you to find a specific movie title. As you can see, your search queries can be saved.
This section of the SALTS Kodi addon is very similar to the previously explained one. With that said, we’ll skip the common categories and instead focus on what’s unique about the TV Shows library.
- The General Calendar can be used to browse the recently uploaded episodes. In addition, you can take a look at this week’s episodes and also see what’s been on air during the previous weeks.
- The Premiere Calendar is connected to the Anticipated Section. It shows all the TV Shows that are planned to air for today’s date forward. This is also where you can return to catch the recently uploaded streams;
Finally, we have to the Settings of SALTS. If you like to tinker with Kodi addons, this is where you’ll find plenty of tools. Average Kodi users should mainly focus on the Auto-Configuration Tool. This tool is used to configure SALTS to pick the very best of available streams based on the speed of your Internet connection.
What’s Next: Additional Resources
As always, we’d like to provide other useful addons for Kodi. Sometimes, the SALTS Kodi addon might disappoint you. This is why it’s good to always have a few viable alternatives.
- A popular alternative to SALTS is an addon called Elysium. This addon also specializes in movies and TV shows and offers a very nice selection of titles. In case you find a non-working link in SALTS, it’s good to have an alternative. Learn more about Elysium for Kodi.
- Next, let’s take a look at a bit different kind of Kodi addon. GoodFellas is as popular as SALTS, even though this addon caters to a wide range of different Kodi users. This is because GoodFellas brings movies and TV shows, but also sports content and other kinds of programming. The recently released GoodFellas 2.0 brings more than 20 different content categories.
- Finally, you should also consider trying out Bubbles for Kodi. This is a unique addon that brings an interesting combination of free and paid streaming sources. If you depend on Kodi for all your entertainment needs, it’s not a bad idea to invest a couple of dollars. Bubbles for Kodi is there to help you improve your user experience.
Have you managed to install the SALTS Kodi addon? In addition, what do you think about the content it’s offering? Make sure to tell us using the comments section below.
If you liked this article, you can help spread the word by sharing it on social networks. Let’s help other Kodi users to discover amazing addons.