Our hands-on IPVanish review mentions this VPN’s capability to unblock Netflix. Even though IPVanish does have a somewhat problematic history of unblocking streaming sites, we can confirm that unblocking the US version of Netflix is still possible. With that said, if IPVanish doesn’t work with Netflix in your case, you’ll want to try the following 5 solutions.
1. Clear Your Web Browser’s Cache
The first thing you'll want to try is clearing your Web browser's cache (if you're using a Web browser to access Netflix, that is). That's because Netflix might read your device's existing cache revealing a change in your Internet connection, indicating that you use a VPN. As a result, IPVanish won’t work with Netflix, and your access will be blocked.
Every Web browser offers a way to remove its cache and history files. With that said, here’s how that’s done on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and Safari. Keep in mind that once you clear your browser’s cache, you’ll need to reconnect to IPVanish. Then, proceed to access Netflix and log in using your credentials.
2. Try Using a Different VPN Protocol
Another reason why IPVanish might not work with Netflix is due to its protocol. This VPN offers various protocols, such as WireGuard, IKEv2, OpenVPN, L2TP, IPsec, and PPTP. So, here's how to switch to another VPN protocol to unblock Netflix:
- Windows: Launch IPVanish and select 'Settings' on the left side. Then, pick the 'Connection' tab and look for the segment called 'Active Protocol.' From there, choose 'OpenVPN' or any other protocol.
- macOS: If you have a Mac, you’ll want to go to IPVanish’s Preferences using the menu bar at the top of your screen. Then, pick 'General' and switch to a different protocol using the 'Active Protocol' field.
- Android: Once you launch IPVanish, select the hamburger button and access the app’s settings. Then, pick the 'Connection' tab. You’ll see a range of protocols there (OpenVPN and IKEv2), so feel free to try them all, one by one.
- iOS/iPadOS: You can access IPVanish’s settings by tapping on the gear-shaped icon in the top-right corner of its home screen. Then, switch between IKEv2 and IPSec using the 'Protocol' field.
Keep in mind that you must disconnect from IPVanish while changing VPN protocols. And once you switch to a new one, make sure to reconnect to a server and try accessing Netflix. Lastly, know that we recommend using the OpenVPN protocol, which has the biggest chance of bypassing Netflix’s anti-VPN measures.
3. Switch to Another IPVanish VPN Server
Even though IPVanish offers plenty of servers, each of those offers varying performance. For example, if a server is overcrowded (used by many IPVanish subscribers at once), its performance will drop, affecting media streaming capabilities. On top of that, if you don’t have a fast Internet connection, you’ll be the first to experience issues caused by overcrowded servers.
With that said, know that you’re always free to switch between different servers. In addition to changing a VPN protocol, switching between servers is often the most effective solution when IPVanish won’t work with Netflix.
4. Update Your IPVanish Local Client App
There are many ways to set up IPVanish, on pretty much any device imaginable. However, the most effective way to use this VPN is via its native clients. Besides, IPVanish’s native apps receive regular updates, making them highly suitable for more intensive activities like unblocking and watching Netflix.
To update IPVanish, we recommend reinstalling the app – especially if you’ve been having issues with your VPN connectivity. In other words, re-download IPVanish from its website and install it without removing the application first. And in case you use iOS, iPadOS, or Android, keep your eye on the Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store for the latest updates.
5. Check the Integrity of Your VPN Tunnel
Finally, we have one more possible solution for when IPVanish doesn’t work with Netflix. Our recommendation is to test your VPN tunnel for IP, DNS, and WebRTC data leaks. That’s because you need to have a leak-free VPN tunnel that keeps your "true" information hidden from anyone else on the Internet to unblock Netflix.
To help you perform the required tests, we’ve produced a guide on checking if your VPN app works properly. Make sure to go through all the tests mentioned there. If you discover a VPN leak, make sure to contact IPVanish’s customer support team, asking for instructions on how to secure your Web connection.
Those would be the 5 most effective solutions for when IPVanish doesn’t work with Netflix. If you have any questions for us, make sure to post your comment just below. And lastly, thank you for reading!