When it comes to ExpressVPN and Ivacy, both of these are reputable and very popular VPN services. Therefore, there must be plenty that these VPNs are doing right. So, how to decide which one to buy? Well, that's precisely where our ExpressVPN vs. Ivacy comparison comes into play!
While searching online for the best VPN, you’ll probably encounter ExpressVPN on every single one of those lists. This isn't surprising because we’re talking here about one of the most capable and user-friendly VPNs right now. As you can see from our ExpressVPN review, even though it's not the most affordable option on the market, it’s well worth its price.
Then, there's Ivacy as well – which is often found on various lists of the best VPNs for specific types of uses. Our Ivacy VPN review will tell you that there are many benefits to using this VPN. However, there are also a few quirks that you need to know about. Don't worry, we'll tell you about these soon enough.
Before we get started, let's first compare the basic facts about these two VPN services. With that said, make sure to pay attention to the following table.
|Jurisdiction||The British Virgin Islands||Singapore|
|Logs||No logs collected.||No logs collected.|
|Number of Servers||3,000+ servers in 90+ countries.||2,000+ servers in 50+ countries.|
|Encryption Standards||AES-256; OpenVPN, Lightway, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, PPTP.||AES-256 bit; OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP, IPSec.|
|Speed Reduction||44.7%, on average.||64.1%, on average.|
|Supported Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web browsers, routers, and media streaming devices.||Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web browsers, and routers.|
Next, we'll give you another highlight of these two VPNs. The following table lists the scores of individual aspects of ExpressVPN and Ivacy (based on their respective reviews). As such, it provides a glimpse into the strong and weak sides of these VPN services.
|Ease of Use||10/10||7.5/10|
|Security & Privacy||10/10||9/10|
|Speed & Performance||8.5/10||7.5/10|
That would be all for our introductory segment. If you join us for our full ExpressVPN vs. Ivacy comparison, you'll learn all there's to know about these VPNs. More importantly, you'll easily get to decide which of these is better suited for your needs.
ExpressVPN vs. Ivacy VPN – Head-to-Head Comparison!
We won't stray away from our usual structure. This article will compare various aspects of ExpressVPN and Ivacy, one by one. This way, we’ll come to a conclusion about which one's better for different types of uses, helping you find the perfect pick.
Table of Contents
Background, Jurisdiction & Reputation
Knowing where your chosen VPN comes from, as well as under which country's laws it operates, is more important than you think. Trustworthy VPNs take care of this by choosing where their operations are established (often in privacy-friendly countries).
- ExpressVPN: You might be surprised to know that ExpressVPN comes from the British Virgin Islands. Sounds exotic, right? Well, this VPN has very carefully chosen where to base its operations. This country has no data retention laws, and it's outside of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance. Besides, ExpressVPN is a verified no-logs VPN, which means that it collects zero user data. It's been on the market for many years now, without a single incident that would point to this VPN collecting personal data or exposing sensitive information to third-parties.
Supported Platforms & Devices
We're sure that you’ll want a VPN that's present on plenty of devices. So, read this segment carefully while thinking about all the devices and platforms you're going to use (in your home, as well as on-the-go).
|Desktop Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS.||Windows, macOS, Linux.|
|Mobile Platforms||Android, iOS, Amazon Kindle Fire, Nook HD.||Android, iOS, Blackberry.|
|Web Browsers||Chrome, Firefox, Edge.||Chrome, Firefox, Edge.|
|Routers||DD-WRT, Tomato, and more.||A range of routers supporting OpenVPN.|
|Other Devices||Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and more.||OpenELEC, smart TVs, Kodi, Amazon FireOS.|
- ExpressVPN: One of the strongest selling points of this VPN is its platform compatibility. You can use it on any desktop and mobile platform, including media streaming devices and routers as well. There’s a range of Web browser extensions as well, which are frequently updated with new features. Also, note that you can use it on up to 5 devices simultaneously, which seems like a generous offer.
- Ivacy: This VPN is also present on numerous platforms via native software. Desktop and mobile systems are supported, as well as media streaming devices and routers. Even Web browser extensions are on offer. Just like its competitor, you can use Ivacy on up to 5 devices at the same time.
Winner: There's no clear winner here as both of these VPN services are present on numerous platforms. Also, they can be used on the same number of devices at the same time.
Installation & Initial Configuration
Today's VPNs are usually very easy to install and use. However, it's always a good idea to pay attention to this aspect before buying a subscription, especially if you don't have any experience using VPN applications.
- ExpressVPN: We like that ExpressVPN offers a central page from where you can review your account information (hiding behind the 'My Account' page on ExpressVPN's website). Also, this is from where you can download various types of applications. To further simplify this process, you can log in using an activation code that can be applied only once. All in all, it won't take more than a few minutes to set up this VPN and start using it, no matter which operating system you use.
- Ivacy: This VPN comes with lightweight applications that are quick to download, as well as easy to install. Once you get your subscription, you can download the required apps from Ivacy's website. Then, install and log in - just like you would do with any other type of software. This is a very streamlined installation process, suitable even for first-time VPN users.
So, what kinds of features can you expect? Do you need a rather simple VPN or a more capable one? Let's see what can be expected out of these VPNs.
|DNS Leak Protection||YES||YES|
|IPv6 Leak Protection||YES||YES|
|Unlimited Server Switches||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: It's safe to say that even the most demanding users are going to like this VPN. It comes with several sets of protections against data leaks, including plenty of advanced options. There's a kill-switch (Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and routers), split-tunneling (Windows, macOS, Android, and routers), and you get unlimited server switches, bandwidth, and data. ExpressVPN creates an incredibly strong VPN tunnel, preventing data leaks and preventing third-parties from seeing the tunnel's contents. And when it comes to what's missing here, know that ExpressVPN doesn't offer dedicated IPs, and it doesn't have a built-in ad-blocker.
- Ivacy: This VPN has been on the market for a long time now. Therefore, you can expect a set of sophisticated features that include a kill switch and split-tunneling as well. However, both of those features are only available on Windows and Android. Also, Ivacy promises to bring anti-malware protection as an extra - but that doesn't mean that you'll stop paying for an antivirus app.
Winner: If you take just a glance, you'll see practically the same set of features offered by these two VPNs. However, take a closer look, and you'll see that ExpressVPN is a more powerful VPN in pretty much every aspect.
Server Count & Infrastructure
No matter why you want to use a VPN, you'll want one with a sizeable network of servers. That's why we'll take a closer look at what ExpressVPN and Ivacy offer.
|Number of Servers||3,000+||2,000+|
|Number of Locations||160||100+|
|Number of Countries||94||50+|
|Specific Cities Selection||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: For a long time now, ExpressVPN has been known for the size of its network. The same applies even today, as you can count on 3,000 servers. These are spread across more than 90 countries and 160 locations in total. Thanks to these strategically placed servers, you should always be able to find a nearby server, no matter where you’re located. Also, ExpressVPN's server network works wonders in terms of unblocking websites that are restricted to individual countries.
- Ivacy: If you decide to go with this VPN, you'll get access to more than 2,000 servers found in a bit over 50 countries. Therefore, we conclude that Ivacy comes with a smaller number of servers, and it's also far behind ExpressVPN in terms of its geo-coverage.
Winner: If you need plenty of servers scattered around the world, your choice here is clear. You should pick ExpressVPN.
UI/UX Design & Ease of Use
It's true that VPNs are complex applications powered by high-end technologies. However, this doesn't mean that they're complicated to use – as both ExpressVPN and Ivacy show.
- ExpressVPN: We're big fans of this VPN’s user interface, which has been further simplified during the last year or so. All it takes to connect to a server is to click on a country's name. ExpressVPN will do the rest on its own, in the background. Of course, you can also dive a bit deeper by visiting the application's settings, where you'll find plenty of things to fine-tune. With that said, we believe that ExpressVPN caters to both first-timers and experienced users, as it offers just the right balance of simplicity and complexity.
- Ivacy: One thing is sure about Ivacy. This VPN is constantly improving and trying to come up with new tools and features. However, its interface doesn't follow that evolution in the best way possible. Even though you'll find your way around Ivacy after a bit of exploration, this isn't the most intuitive VPN to use. We really hope to see Ivacy overhauling its interface, bringing it closer to today's standards of modern UI and UX design.
Media Streaming & Torrenting Support
Do you need a VPN to unblock Netflix and other popular websites? If that's so, you'll need a capable VPN with a proven track record of working with streaming platforms. Don't worry, we have some options for you, as you're about to see.
|Amazon Prime Video||YES||YES|
|Torrenting (P2P) Support||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: Simply said – ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for media streaming. As per our tests, it can unblock Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Discovery+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and many other streaming services. There's no throttling or buffering involved, and you won't see any error messages in the process. Don't worry, this VPN also supports torrenting. All 3,000+ servers offered by ExpressVPN support P2P Web traffic, which isn't something we see every day.
- Ivacy: As you can read in our review of this VPN, we were surprised by its media streaming capabilities. It managed to unblock plenty of media streaming services, including the world's most popular ones. Just like its competitor, it also plays nice with P2P files as well. The only difference here is that Ivacy offers a set of specialized servers for media streaming and torrenting. So, these two VPNs offer different paths to media streaming, but the end result will always be the same.
Security & Privacy
This segment of our ExpressVPN vs Ivacy comparison informs you about encryption, protocols, and other features designed to safeguard your data. Therefore, make sure to read it carefully.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN brings 256-bit AES encryption, know to be the strongest type of commercially available encryption. You get an array of VPN protocols to choose from, including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2, and PPTP. ExpressVPN now offers its own VPN protocol as well, called Lightway - promising fast performance and high-end digital privacy. There's a kill-switch included, whose role is to shut down your Internet traffic if your data becomes exposed online. And most importantly, ExpressVPN keeps no records of your Web activity, as its recent independent audit proves as well.
- Ivacy: Everything we said about ExpressVPN stands true for Ivacy as well. You'll find 256-bit AES encryption here, as well as protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP, and IPSec (therefore, a somewhat narrower choice of VPN protocols than what ExpressVPN offers). Ivacy claims not to collect any of your data. And, as per our tests, there are no data leaks here either.
Winner: In terms of ensuring that your privacy is intact, both of these VPNs are highly effective. The only thing that goes in ExpressVPN’s favor is its recent audit – which gives you peace of mind when browsing the Web. Therefore, if you're looking for the best way to ensure the privacy of your data, ExpressVPN should be your pick.
Speed & Performance
It's true that you can do plenty of speed up a slow VPN. However, you can avoid slow VPNs completely by reading articles just like this one. That's because we put VPNs through speed tests while reviewing them, telling you what kind of performance to expect.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN made our Web connection slower by 44.7% on average. We have to say that we were impressed by this result, even though you'll find speedier VPNs out there. What's impressive about ExpressVPN is the high level of encryption it brings, coupled with really strong protocols such as OpenVPN. Despite using such a strong and privacy-friendly combination, its performance doesn't fluctuate. Instead, if you have a fast-enough Web connection, you'll get to continue using the Web just like you did before using this VPN.
- Ivacy: As per our tests, this VPN slowed us down by 64.1% on average. Therefore, it's easy to see that Ivacy is behind ExpressVPN in terms of its speed and performance. We've tested a series of nearby and remote servers, and Ivacy was behind ExpressVPN in every round of testing. So, if you need a fast VPN, the choice here is obvious.
Winner: There's no need to think hard about the winner of this round. Being one of the top-performing VPNs right now, ExpressVPN should be your first pick.
As you know, VPNs are technical solutions. Even though they're usually highly optimized, something can go wrong from time to time. This is the reason why we'll compare these two VPNs' customer support systems.
- ExpressVPN: In case you ever get stuck, you can count on ExpressVPN to help you out. This VPN's customer support system includes live chat and email, in addition to helpful resources you can check on your own. There are troubleshooting and installation guides, frequently asked questions, and even a very informative blog section on its official website.
- Ivacy: As we already said, Ivacy isn't a new VPN. Therefore, it had plenty of time to perfect its service. There's a live chat option on its website, installation guides, FAQ, support tickets, and other ways of finding help. There's also an easy way to upload your logs, which helps their team troubleshoot any issue faster and easier.
We've reached the final round of our ExpressVPN vs. Ivacy comparison. Let's talk about the pricing of these VPNs, as well as other payment-related information.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN comes with a monthly price of $12.95. As you can see, this isn't the most affordable option, but we still think this VPN brings plenty of value for its price. Of course, you'll find some hefty savings by choosing this VPN's long-term plans. For example, the annual plan is priced at $99.95, which also brings three additional months of use. You can pay via numerous payment methods, including Bitcoin. And also, there's a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Ivacy: If you want to pay monthly, you'll need to pay $9.95 for this VPN. Just like its competitor, Ivacy brings interesting savings found in its long-term plan. For example, the annual plan brings the price down to $3.50 – which seems like an incredible deal. And there's even a 5-year plan, whose price comes down to only $1.00 per month. You can pay via PayPal, credit cards, AliPay, and PerfectMoney, and Bitcoin is supported as well. And finally, you can expect a 30-day money-back guarantee from this VPN as well.
ExpressVPN vs. Ivacy – Which One Should You Pick?
We do have to admit – choosing one out of these two VPNs is a tough task. They both offer plenty for their price, and they both have their strong and weak sides. However, ExpressVPN seems like a more capable VPN solution in this comparison.
Ivacy helps you unblock websites, secures your private data, and you can count on its helpful customer support team. However, ExpressVPN offers all of those things as well, in addition to many other benefits. This is one of the fastest VPN services right now, with a proven track record of not keeping its users' personal data. Therefore, it's highly secure yet easy to use.
With that said, we do strongly recommend you subscribe to ExpressVPN if you need a trustworthy, capable, and efficient VPN service.
That would be all for our ExpressVPN vs Ivacy comparison. If you have any questions or doubts, keep in mind that we're here to help. Just make sure to post your comment below. And, finally - thanks for reading!